So Since being here have got obsessed with the Alpine Macaroni and have made up my own easy to follow recipe-Hope you enjoy making and more importantly eating it as much as I do! A warming, filling winter dish usually served with warm apple sauce : )
Ingredients: (for 4-6 people)
- 300g Hornli pasta (can use swirls or penne too)
- Half litre of double cream (local if you can)
- 8-10 rashers of bacon cut up into pieces-if veggie version leave this out.
- 3 white onions
- 2 large potatoes
- Lots of grated white cheese-chedder is tasty and obviously AlpKase is the best!
- pepper, salt for seasoning.
- knob of butter for cooking.
- half cup of white flour.
- 5-8 apples, ground cinnamon, water.
- Fry onions and bacon in a little oil in a frying pan. Empty these into a large glass pyrex oven dish.
- Slice the Potatoes and boil for approx 20 mins. Boil the pasta too for approx 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and Pasta and add to dish. Mix all together.
- Place the butter in a saucepan, let melt then add the flour, mix and add the cheese (save a little for topping).
- Mix sauce and add the cream-once all mixed and melted pour sauce into dish and stir through the potatoes, pasta and onions.
- Sprinkle over top the remaining cheese and season with a little pepper and salt.
- Bake at 180’c for approx 40 minutes. YUM!
The Apple Sauce:
- Peel, Core and chop all apples to small chunks-add to a saucepan with a little hot water and boil. Check and stir regularly.
- Add cinnamon to taste then blend all to make a smooth paste/sauce.
- Add a little more water if it needs to be a bit thinner in consistency.
Enjoying some local Alpine Macaroni-caused me to become obsessed with it!