I have been making a chilli pear chutney after craving some from a certain Suffolk shop! : )
The ingredients are:
- 5/6 pears, 3/4 apples, 1 onion, 1 red chilli
- 1 lemon
- sugar (approx 500g)
- cider vinegar (about a cup)
- Dried Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Peel the fruit and veg, chop finely and put in a big saucepan to sweat on low heat.
- Add the cider, squeezed lemon juice and a little water and increase heat. Add chilli flakes if wanted.
- Add sugar and boil and stir (check regularly after approx 15 minutes)
- Simmer on low heat for approx 30 – 45 minutes more. Test a bit of chutney on a cold saucer (from fridge) and if it sets after 2 minutes it is ready to be put into jars.
- Put into jars, put wax discs on top, seal and label.