Tasty with cheddar cheese on hot bread!
- 1 Kg Pears
- 4 large Apples
- 200g onions
- 1 cup sultanas or raisins
- grated rind of 1 orange and its juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- Peel and chop the pears, onions and apples into small chunks. Put into your preserving pan and add your vinegar.
- Bring this to the boil and mix regularly.
- Lower the pan temperature then add the orange juice and rind, the sultanas and the sugar.
- Continue to ‘cook’ your chutney until it is nice and sticky and thicker.
- Add the chopped walnuts and stir in thoroughly.
- Test a bit of the mixture on a saucer (from the fridge) to see if it has set.
- If so spoon into your sterilised jars, cover with wax disc and seal.
For best flavours leave to mature for 1-2 months. This should keep for a year – however we ate ours within 4!
The Good Life In Practice xx