Another fantastic local food business to mention! I got a bundle of gluten free sausages to try from Musks of Newmarket! Musks are a great local business based in Newmarket, Suffolk. Musks specialise in handmade small batches of sausages using fully traceable outdoor reared British pork shoulder meat. They offer not only the classic Newmarket sausage with the secret spice mix, but also a gluten free variety (using long grain rice instead of breadcrumbs), a Pork and Aspall Cyder, Pork and Leek and a Christmas Chipolata. These sausages have no added colourings or additives and were even granted a Royal warrant by the Queen herself in 2005!
Local business Musks of Newmarket have a great history – James Musk first began producing sausages in 1884 in Market Street, Newmarket. Additionally, in 2012 they were awarded a PGI status for their great produce – similar to the Cornish Pastry and Cumberland Sausage. Musks is a good local company with some great produce so I was delighted to try their gluten free sausages in a recipe – my father (better known as ‘Coeliac Man says’) even more so as he is Gluten Intolerant so was looking forward to having them too! Below is my Recipe for Gluten Free Toad In The Hole –
Easy Recipe For Gluten Free Toad In The Hole (feeds 4):
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Onces cornflour
- 2 Onces gluten free white flour
- Pinch of salt
- Half pint of milk
- Teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 6 Gluten Free Musks of Newmarket Sausages
- Put the Sausages in a baking dish and place in 220’C oven for 20 minutes.
- Mix all the other ingredients in a blender until it is at a batter consistency.
- When the sausages have had their 20 minutes take the dish out and pour the batter mixture in and over the sausage dish.
- Place dish back in oven and cook for approximately 30 minutes until top is golden. Then enjoy!
Coeliac Man (Dad) said “they were the best gluten free sausages on the market, not too spicy but flavourful and just like their original counterparts” So all in all a good product for Coeliacs and other foodies alike!