I love Amish bread and cake recipes since discovering them – lots of easy to follow recipes and traditional recipes to try. This is a basic apple and honey cake recipe which I have added to and altered to make it work for my family’s tastes!
Amish Apple and Honey Cake with cinnamon glaze and lemon zest:
- 1 cup honey
- 4 apples (peel, core and grate)
- half tsp allspice
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 and a half tsp baking powder
- 3 cups plain flour
- 4 eggs
- half cup brown sugar
- half cup white sugar
- Wet Icing – icing sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, cold water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180’C.
- Mix all the cake ingredients together and pop into an 8 inch cake tin.
- Bake for approximately 90 minutes.
- Leave out on a wire rack to thoroughly cool before glazing.
- Combine wet icing ingredients to your required consistency. Drizzle over the cake diagonally (best done in an icing bag or sandwich bag with cut out corner!).
- Grate Lemon Zest on top of iced cake and sprinkle a little extra cinnamon on.
Done! Good with a cup of coffee or tea to fill a gap!
Katy The Good Life In Practice x