So here is a quick cake recipe I tried for people who cannot have gluten in their diet. Also for the rest of us this squidgy cake is nice too!
- 2 oranges
- 100ml olive oil
- 180g caster sugar
- 30g gluten free flour (either ready mixed or combination of your choice)
- 150g almonds (ground)
- 2 tsps baking powder (gluten free)
- 5 eggs
For the drizzle:
- 12 tbsps caster sugar
- orange juice (squeezed from 2 oranges)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 100ml Rum
- Boil the oranges whole in water in a pan. Drain then leave to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180’c and grease a round baking tin.
- Cut up oranges once cool; then blitz into pulp in a food processor/blender.
- Mix together the following in a large bowl: olive oil, sugar, eggs till fluffy.
- To the mixing bowl add: baking powder, almonds, flour and fruit pulp.
- Pour batter into baking tin. Bake for just under an hour – check regularly to ensure middle in cooked through.
- Whilst this is cooking; melt the drizzle ingredients together (apart from Rum!) in a pan on hob. Bring to boil and add Rum. Take off the heat.
- Once cake is out fork or skewer the cake all over – pour over half the drizzle. Once the cake is cool, pour the second half over. Voila!
I decorated it with blueberries, crushed Hazelnuts and grated dark chocolate. I served this cake for friends recently and it stores well in freezer without the Rum drizzle that can be made at a later date then added.
Let me know what you think, Katy, The Good Life In Practice x